What Should I Ask a Prospective Estate Planning Attorney?
Estate planning has many important advantages like providing for your immediate family, making certain your assets are distributed the way you want, supporting charitable causes, and more.
The Baltimore Post-Examiner’s recent article entitled “5 Questions to Ask an Estate Planning Attorney” provides some questions to help you find the right person to help you with this essential task.
- Do You Practice Only in Estate Planning? Specialization is critical, so find a lawyer whose practice focuses on estate planning. This person will be up to date on any law or regulation changes that impact estate planning.
- How Long Have You Been an Estate Planning Lawyer? It’s essential to find a lawyer specializing in estate planning. However, it’s also important to work with an experienced attorney who’s been doing this for some time. A lawyer who has practiced in the field for many years will have experience dealing with challenges to estate planning, such as will contests and disinheriting relatives.
- Do You Provide Periodic Reviews? Make sure you can come in and have periodic reviews to make possible changes when there are changes in your life.
- Are You Able to Help Me Create a Comprehensive Estate Plan? Make sure that you find an attorney who can help you develop an estate plan that include trusts, wills, powers of attorney and life insurance policies. An experienced estate planning attorney will be in the best position to assist you.
- What Do You Charge? Understand the pricing. Some attorneys charge a flat fee, some charge by the hour and others charge flat fees for some tasks and by the hour for other tasks. Look for an estate planning attorney who’s upfront and transparent with pricing.
Find a reputable estate planning attorney who can explain the process, help you make the right plans and then walk you through regular reviews.
Reference: Baltimore Post-Examiner (Jan. 24, 2023) “5 Questions to Ask an Estate Planning Attorney”